As you might know – we have just moved into our first house, which is super exciting: the kids are now enjoying their own rooms and the garden, going to get a cat and a dog too. And us, parents are super happy that we finally got there, as we spent a long time trying to sell our flat and now we can get into gardening! However, a newly bought house is not always in the best shape and we are currently finding this out… Luckily a few partners of the blog have sent us housewarming gifts! Duvet Hog was kind enough to offer a pair of pillows and a duvet – which I always wanted to try as I’ve heard great things about them. So let’s see what’s the hype about!
About Duvet Hog
Duvet Hog creates pillows and duvets that are soft, light, warm and breathable, like real duck down, but without the feather and harming animals. The material is made of recycled PET plastic water bottles. (A single Duvet Hog Original Duvet keeps 120 plastic bottles out of landfill!) The products are safe, chemical free, hypoallergenic and that can be washed and tumble dried. They are a proud owner of an special, eco-factory, which uses 100% renewable energy and produces zero waste.
Duvet Hog carries the following certifications and accreditations:
- GRS-Certified: The Global Recycled Standard (GRS) is a voluntary product standard for tracking and verifying the content of recycled materials in a final product. The standard applies to the full supply chain and addresses traceability, environmental principles, social requirements, chemical content, and labelling.
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100, Class 1: is one of the world’s best-known labels for textiles tested for harmful substances and chemical safety.
- PETA-Approved Vegan: ‘best down-free bedding’ in PETA’s Homeware Awards in 2021 https://www.peta.org.uk/living/petas-2021-vegan-homeware-awards/
- Buy Women Built: https://buywomenbuilt.com/
- B Corp: through to the verification phase of the B Corp certification process so it’s happening soon
- eatured in Good Housekeeping’s Lab Pick of Best Winter Duvets (#1 for 2021 & 2022, #2 in 2023) and was named the Indy/Best ‘Best Vegan Duvet’.
What I thought about them
I picked the Original Eco-friendly and vegan duvet in all-year round 10.5 tog and a set of medium-soft pillows to go with.
From the price point of view – the products are totally affordable as the king size duvet retails at £80 and the 2 pillows cost £55 plus free UK delivery – which is the same as any other decent brand’s price point.
The duvets are available in standard UK single, double, kind and super king sizes and the pillows come in medium or medium-soft.
They are machine washable at 30 degrees – which saves taking it to the dry cleaners and also the most environmentally friendly option!
The pillows’ shape was new to me – see photos, they have 2 extra panels on the sides rather then the regular two-piece sewn together at the edges. These two panels help to keep the shape properly when in use and the pillow offers better support for the head and neck in my view. The medium – soft filling is just perfect for me, I don’t like flat pillows, but I rather have flat than too hard pillows. But these are just right. They are really comfy and fluffy just like it’s promised. They don’t loose the shape and they bounce back nicely.
|It’s super light – that’s my first thought. Very light and fluffy – but it keeps warm! I m sleeping in full set of pyjamas as it’s cold and it’s lovely and warm under this duvet. It seals the air underneath when in use, and that keeps us nice and warm. I will see what’s it like in summer but I suspect it will not be too warm. It is temperature regulating – so will see how it works in warmer weather and will update the post.