I’ve worked with VonShef before testing this 1.5l slow cooker. I always found that VohHaus and VonShef products are of excellent quality, very functional yet they cost a lot less than other brands’ same product. Just like this slow cooker. First of all: I don’t know other kitchen brands that make a small version of their slow cookers. They are all huge, feeding 4-8 people at the time. But we only have me mostly (or in best case scenario my husband) eating the veggie stews I love, so even if I freeze portions, we end up with a lot going in our small freezer. So this is fantastic for those who live on their own or in a small household. Secondly, it cost £27.99! I mean, that’s a price you can’t beat! It’s a fantastic little gadget, I wouldn’t invest in a big crock pot, but this is just perfect. And not complicated at all to operate it, easy to use and clean.
All round wins! And you can win one too. Just scroll down to the giveaway.
About the VonShef 1.5l slow cooker
Simply add your ingredients to the slow cooker, select the required heat setting and leave the appliance to work its magic.
- High: average cooking time 3 – 5 hours
- Low: average cooking time 6 – 8 hours
- Keep Warm: keeps cooked food warm
- Containing food within the ceramic cooking dish and covering with the transparent glass lid stops water from escaping and locks nutrients in. This is particularly beneficial for vegetable-based one pot meals.
- Extremely safe to use, the slow cooker can be left on while you’re at work or sleeping, so you’re never far from a freshly cooked meal – without needing to spend all evening in the kitchen.
- Easy clean – ceramic inner cooking pot is removable and easy to clean.
- Modern oval shaped design with strong stainless steel body and non-slip feet.
I’ve tested it with a lovely, autumnal veggie stew – it didn’t disappoint: did what it supposed to and cooked up this delicious vegetable stew in a few hours.
Vegetable Stew in Slow Cooker
- 2 handful of chestnut mushrooms halved
- 2 small potatoes chopped
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped
- 250 g pumpkin pieces
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato concentrate
- salt and pepper to taste
- chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp flour
Peel and chop up the vegetables and add them all to your slow cooker. (I used a small 2-people cooker of 1.5L, simple double the measurements for larger cookers.)
Measure and add the vegetable broth, wine, diced tomatoes and tomato paste and all the spices. So everything except the flour. Stir well and cover.
Cook on high 3 to 4 hours. A half an hour before serving - scoop out some of the juices into a cup. Add the flour to it, stir well (make sure there are no lumps of flour left) and pour it all back into the stew and stir well. Cover and let finish cooking.
The lucky winner win a the same 1.5l VonShef slow cooker, just enter below and follow the instructions. Good luck!
Terms and conditions
The competition closes at 12:00 AM on 29th of November 2022 and the winner will be notified via email within 48 hours.
The giveaway is open to all UK residents aged 18 or over.
There is no maximum amount of times an individual can enter, and each entry will be in with a chance of winning.
ONE person will be picked at random as a winner. The prize provider will send the prize directly to the winner as soon as is reasonably possible. (It is the winner’s responsibility to reply with their full name and address in order to receive their prize).
The winner will have 5 days to respond to their winner’s email. Otherwise we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
No cash alternatives are available.
The winner’s name will be posted onto the Captain Bobcat Blog website so do keep an eye out!